Sunday, June 1, 2008

Forgiveness

The other day my daughter was ‘villainized’ on our block. She was maliciously spoken of by another seven year old (as seven year olds do) and it became the talk of the street. We talked of it that evening and on her own she wrote a note and delivered it asking for and giving forgiveness. Last week John Davison spoke of how he contacted with his father’s murderer and was able to tell the man that he forgave him for killing his father. From gossip to murder, forgiveness is possible and the means of grace is unlimited. From an individual to a nation, the common denominator is the heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness is such a simple thing. Someone hurts you and you say, 'I forgive you'. But alas, it seems that's where the simpleness ends.

The first problem I have is giving something dear to me to someone who could care less. Thank about it. Jesus died on the cross for the masses and the masses could care less.

The second part of the problem is I'd rather not. Hurt is something I can hang on to and use over and over again. As I heard you and someone else recently use the term 'self medicate'. I can self medicate with the hurt I hang on to.

The last part of the problem is probably the real reason I don't bother. I just don't have the time or energy to forgive. In many ways, it seems the world is lining up to hurt me. My cup is empty. I just don't have the emotional energy to forgive or the time to write a letter.

All of these reasons to not forgive have worked for me in the past. Some will work for me in the future, but today I choose to forgive. Thank you for doing your part to grow up a generation sensitive to the power of forgiveness.

Forgiven in Big Bend