Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Chicago 'L'

The elevated train from downtown Chicago to the airport is great transportation. For two dollars you can travel most anywhere, faster than a cab could get you there. It's a swarming sea of humanity where Spanish, Russian and other unrecognizable slavic languages are spoken....and Willie Brown. Willie Brown is a homeless rapper who beat boxes in order to make a few bucks. I gave him two dollars and told him Jesus loved him and he began to beat box about the goodness of the Lord and the angels that he sends. I rarely meet anyone on my commute back home...even when I ride my bike...the cars whoosh by and everyone is tightly cacooned and plugged into something. I never have the chance to respond in faith, nor hear the poetic, toothless rap of a grateful homeless man. The conveniences that make life "easier" also make it easier to miss life.

No comments: