Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Truth Tellers

The phone rang, it was yet another interruption. My sister Suz was on the other line and with surgeon like skill she spoke the hard truth..." I had better get on the plane and go, if I waited I would regret...somebody else could preach, but nobody else could be there with my wife as her mother lay dying". The bible says the wounds of a friend can be trusted....I know that is true...I have learned to trust the hardness of truth and trust the truth tellers. Often the truth is side stepped and softened to the point of opaque suggestion but a friend will wound you and he/she will do it because you are deeply and dearly loved. That event happend almost 13 years ago but it was a defining moment when I realized everybody had the same information but only my sister was willing to fight for the truth...only my sister was willing to wound me. Truth tellers are true friends though they themselves are only sought as friends on a convenience basis...they are dangerous...they are fierce and wanted mostly in small doses. I don't feel that way but I know it's widely felt...I don't feel that way because I too like my sister Suz, am a truth teller. Wound you if we must but the wounds can be trusted....and by now we understand the cadence of our friendships and by now we have discovered the community of trust in those who will not yield, dilute, or mute the truth.

No comments: