Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My First Day Back at Middle School

Tonight was 'open house' my daughter is entering the 7th grade at a public school and it was the first time I'd been back in well...30 years. It felt strange all over again seeing the ominous lockers that create academic anxiety just knowing your going to forget where it is or which hall and then not remember the combination. The painted cinder block and institutional decor...the teachers seemed nice enough but school hasn't started yet and the all too memorable exhaustion and defeat has not yet come across their faces.
Then the thought occured to me, that this is my baggage. My little girl is expectant and hopful, full of ideals and joy about learning and making friends. It could turn out different for her...maybe she will make a difference and stand out for Christ rather than go the way of the crowd. That is my hope... My skepticism tells me that by Christmas her soul will have been bruised by friends, teachers...the system. She's ready though, she's prepared...i hope....i hope...

No comments: