Thursday, March 6, 2008

cynical faith

My son rolled an ATV right in front of me, and what I saw was amazing and miraculous. I told him he needed to thank God for His ministering angels. There was an ascent from my son but also a veiled cynicism. Familiarity breeds contempt and the more we are around the miraculous the less it registers.
I shook hands with Steve Larson on Sunday evening, he's been healed from Leukemia, though we've never really talked about it--the cynicism lingers. I prayed over Tracey Flores and my heart sank as I heard of her stage 3 cancer and yet she beamed in her trust of God and I was shamed.
I find it easier to trust God for the unseen than to validate the miraculous He has done in my midst. God has converged one miracle after another in my life this week and I cannot deny, suppress, dismiss His supernatural presence. I am broken that my cynicism has been shared, passed on and infected others. I see it in the faces of others when I talk about the miracle of faith, healing, deliverence, angels, and protection. I'm broken in this moment because I can no longer allow my own jaded heart to veil the glory of God. It is so apparent all around even in this moment. God, forgive me for hiding the light under the basket, wearing the veil, tolerating the scales, and minimizing the faith of others through cynicism. The sin of our age: the joy-stealing, faith-quenching, glory-robbing attitude of pride mixed with doubt. I'm sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the Virginia Slims commercial, "You've come a long way baby."? How true it is and yet we the body of Christ have so far to go. Even as the way is narrow, I'm glad we serve a God of Grace. Thank you, Pastor. Thank you, Jesus.

Jeff Harris said...

It is interesting to me how often I touch and see the miraculous and yet feel some how jaded when I hear it in an email or testimony that I didn't witness. The faith is infectious and so is the cynicism...We all are so hungry spiritually and then we reject food. We pray anemic "thy will be done" prayers and yet fail to act on the Holy Spirit urging to pray for out right healing in Jesus' name...God strengthen my faith!

EPIC Life Group said...

It's likely you have run across a new phrase being used by EPIC, 'God Spots'. These are times when an individual sees and identifies a specific act of God that authenticates His presence. This 'God Spot' is then shared with the EPIC family to glorify God and strengthen our faith.

Obviously, God is not required to reveal Himself. But, sometimes He choses to. I have actually found myself laying awake at night taking inventory of the days events in hope of seeing a God Spot. Then, praying that God will work through me the next day to create a 'God Spot' in someone else's life.

Archie