Sunday, November 30, 2008

Excuses

A few of us were gathering to ride and one of mine friends was complaining about his bike, another was complaining about his hamstring and how he didn’t know if he could make it. Though I didn’t say anything I was wondering how I’d do in a group ride because I hadn’t been on a road bike in some time. Then Danny rolls up. Danny fractured his c 7 vertebrae 8 weeks ago and hasn’t ridden in those 8 weeks. Without a complaint or excuse he pulls up and heads out for 40 miles and even got out front in the wind when it was his turn to pull. Toward the end of the ride, when he was clearly fading, he never complained or made an excuse. There are so many reasons we can’t, we can come up with them to justify our underachieving or self-interested ways. Then there are those subtle reminders that our wills are simply not robustly aligned with His. What’s your excuse?

3 comments:

Sara said...

Ouch..that hit home.
Guess I don't have one now.

Anonymous said...

Excuses... Let's see...
.
I don't have a bike or shoes to peddle it with. :)

But really, I am such an important person with really important stuff to do that I don't have time for all the little people with their never ending questions and problems. If they'd just read the Bible more and pray, they wouldn't be such a bother.

Or how about, I'd go to church if it wasn't for my love for the family. I work hard all week and Sunday is the one day I can honestly invest the time into my family that it deserves. I take my son to soccer and my daughter to volleyball. Then, I catch a bite to eat and get the grocery shopping done while my husband catches a nap.

It all works out for the best. I'm sure God understands. After the children are gone, we will get back into church.

Anonymous said...

Wow...even I can come up with better ones than that... : )