Sunday, December 14, 2008

Family

We sat in a circle, each having picked a present from under the tree. The presents were to be “from the heart” and for the group, something that revealed more of our heart. I unwrapped an old shoe, the last one shoe of Jimmy the paraplegic who is in my life group. He holds on to the shoe because it represents both the question “why?” and the grace and power of God. It was a powerful moment as the old shoe revealed more of Jimmy’s heart. One man played a song on a piano that hadn’t been played in years, because of his broken heart the music had died. He gave us a song as his gift and in turn we helped heal his broken heart. As the night concluded it was observed that “this is family, the most intimate Christmas we might hope to experience.” The only thing we have in common is Jesus and a commitment to one another.

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

who is my mother and who are my brothers?

Anonymous said...

An interesting challenge. What would I put under the tree?

I think I would put my marriage license. At 18, it was a simpler time. Believing I could do anything and having a friend and mate to share life with. Her always believing, trusting and encouraging.

It was a time of nievity, believing that I could make a difference and not knowing there is always a price to pay.