Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hallmark Holiday

Valentine’s Day has come and gone. As I was out tracking down my prey, I ran into a sea of men searching for candy, jewelry, flowers, perfume, lingerie and other assorted apparel. This is the annual day we tell people that we love them. It's so nice to have a day on the calendar or else we might forget. Then, of course, the standard chocolate, perfume and flower gifts really evidently work for most women. I'm guessing this is very different than when Paul said "I am compelled" to preach the gospel. Don't get me wrong—I love my wife and I want to tell her and express that to her through words, actions and gifts, I just don't particularly like a "hallmark" holiday to make it uniform. Hopefully she gets presents, words and actions regularly enough that even if there were no Valentine’s Day she would know she is loved. When I think of Christ's love for me do I realize it only at Easter and Christmas? Or is our relationship so rich that without those dates I would remember, I would honor, I would tell and I would act?

No comments: