Sunday, February 1, 2009

Technology

My daughter and I were at the Sprint store activating an old phone because she dropped her Phone in the tub. She was texting with her “dry” hand and somehow the phone slipped and ‘took a bath.’ The store clerk was amused, my daughter and her really connected because the store clerk has lost or broken 13 phones in the last year. The whole scenario made me reflect on the intrusiveness of technology in my life. Instant messaging, texting, my blackberry that has to be babysat—when will I have space to be still and know? There is no high tech quick fix for devotion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about reading YouVersion on your crackberry - isn't that kind of a bridge?

Jeff Harris said...

Widgets, applications and 'bridges' abound...I really love my blackberry...so it's not about the berry itself but about managing it's access to me rather than my access to it...No blanket condemnation of technology here...just a reflection on the addictive nature of information/accessibility

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, there has never been a better or stronger opportunity to maximize your impact for Christ through communication (means never before available). You just have to use them before the rapture as opposed to after the rapture. It wouldn't be near as fun after the rapture.

Daniel Duce said...

on that Glorious Day...when I hear that trumpet sound...wherever I am whatever I am doing, you better believe that I am going to throw my phone and my computer against the hardest surface that I can find -- I will watch them explode as plastic and glass and circuitry fly threw the air -- then, I will run and NEVER look back -- much Love to you, my brother

Anonymous said...

And don't do devotions that are on your smartphone via email or application. That doesn't seem to work either. Been there done that. LOL!