Thursday, January 24, 2008

In Defense of Food

I read this New York Times best seller and was amazed...In defense of food is about everything..politics, FDA, Marketing, Farming...but the bottom line is that we rarely eat food anymore. In fact one of the first cases of a child being diagnosed simultaneously with obesity and malnutrition has taken place in Oakland. The simple advice is that we should return to eating food...stuff that had a face or grew from the ground. So lately I've been putting it to the test...I eat soups the brothy kind devoid of a can of mushroom soup...salads, chicken and fish...i pass on anything that comes out of a package with ingredients I can't understand. I mean I read the label on my 100% whole wheat bread and I was shocked...it actually has high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other stuff I can't pronounce. So I switched to Ezekiel bread..sprouted barley and spelt and rye etc...all 100% grains...my peanut butter contents "roasted nuts and salt" that's it...Last night I had an epic meal at a Thai restaurant...Lemongrass soup and lettuce wraps..wow. In two weeks I've dropped 7lbs. Yes I'm working out more and all that...but the bottom line is my body is getting what it needs because I'm eating food.
Could it really be that all we really needed was provided in the Garden of Eden afterall. Is it possible we are killing ourselves over abundance of things that are pleasurable for a moment but don't really provide sustenance? How true is that in what I purchase, what I read, what I watch, what I eat....

1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

I couldn't agree more! i'm actually taking a wellness class and we've been focusing on nutrition and the lack of it in this country! amazing (and life-changing) stuff... oh, and you gotta love the Ezekiel bread!