Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Dragon's Tail

The mountain pass between western North Carolina and Tennessee is called “The Dragon’s Tail,” where it is up and down and round and round. This summer as my family and I crossed over the Smokey Mountains by way of the “The Dragon’s Tail” and it also happened to be in the pouring rain. I was focused. Not only was it a round trip, something I’m usually all business about anyway, but we were facing some pretty intense conditions. It became stressful as one of our kids got car sick from the roller coaster route and the intensity grew. I had just finished a book that focused on living in the present and allowing Christ to fully inhabit the present moment so joy could enter your life, so this was a test. How in the world could there be joy in this? As we neared the top of the Smokey Mountains the rain ceased and the sun peered out, a sign read “scenic overlook ahead” and I did something I don’t normally do—I stopped! We piled out of the van and what I can only describe as majestic confronted my senses. Lake Fontana, a mountain lake in the Smokey Mountains, was glistening with clouds below us and the sun was breaking through. And there it was, the present moment, filled with joy. I can only challenge you not to miss it. It is there…He is there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, my son Jeff and I hiked a few days on the Appalachian trail in the Smokey Mountains. It should have been longer if the old man's knee had not blown on. We saw some amazing sights. It's said that the closer to God you get the better you appreciate the beauty of His creations. Thanks for the memory.