Sunday, August 10, 2008

Home From Camp

My son came home from camp yesterday and on our way home we were catching up on all the adventure. I asked him what the highlights were and he shared about the usual things and then slowly and reluctantly he reached into his shirt and pulled out a dog tag and said “I got voted most Christ-like in my cabin.” As the tear ran down his cheek they began to well up in mine! When I was in the 5th grade that wasn’t something I would have been in the running for. Later that evening as we watched Michael Phelps win another gold medal and I reached over and grabbed his dog tag and said, “this is better than any gold medal in my eyes.” So much of what we do will never be seen on T.V. or applauded by the world but if our peers notice Christ in us then I believe God is cheering us on and we are amassing trophies in heaven.

2 comments:

EPIC Life Group said...

No response needed, but I was thinking.....

What is it that makes one PK act one way and another PK act another. Personally, I was a stealth Christian and PK. I did all the right things in the Christian environment and many of the wrong things in the world. God was there in both.

I can imagine much of your "out of the box" living while growing up brought a chuckle from God.

Unknown said...

I will never forget Alyssa's first year at camp when she too "won" Most Christ Like Camper. It was a precious moment when she realized Jesus manifest in her life.

Don't you think it's ironic that at camp it is an 'award' to win? If we, as "grown up" believers ( I use that term lightly), could only pursue our likeness to Christ in that same mindedness. Not as a burden, or suffering, or difficulty, but as an award. The highest honor and esteem. How would that change our lives? To truly understand what prizes we are most certainly searching for.

We are born with an innate knowledge of Christ (Romans) and that is what we desire--to know him more intimately...and as we do...we win the ultimate award--for Christ's likeness manifests in our lives.

Just a thought...