Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cable

We did it: we canceled our cable! We had gone from no cable to cable about two years ago and that is when the slippery slope started. Slowly our time as individuals and as a family began to gravitate toward the television. So after the holidays and way too much T.V., I decided it was time. We still have T.V. via the internet if we want it but we have to go look for it rather than surfing channels. We play more games, we read more and if we are watching it’s as a family. I didn’t watch any football and I didn’t miss anything apparently. It’s not a decision for everyone but it does represent how little benign things slowly creep in and vie for importance. I would challenge you to identify the time, and relationship drains in your life.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Jeff,
I went without cable for almost 2 years, I read so much more and found time for so much more. If there was something I really wanted to watch, I could most likely find it online. I did okay without it. When I moved in August and called the phone company to change service, I got talked into a premium cable package, a "90 day trial". I took it figuring I would get rid of it at the end of the trial period if it wasn't meeting my needs. In those 90 days I found myself in front of the tv more, not reading as much, blowing off things outside my home so I could stay home and channel surf, and watch everything the DVR had waiting for me yet never found anything all that fulfilling to watch. I had let a door open to something that was destructive for me, robbng me of my time and my energy. I have a personality where too much of a good thing is just too much. Anyway, I got rid of the cable in November. It is January and I am fine without it. It gives me an excuse to go watch something with someone if I feel the need to see something. And I am not isolating at home as much.

Long ago a pastor told me that whatever i let minister to me I would become a minister of. I didn't understand that at the time, but now I do. I don't need to know the commercials word for word and I sure don't need to be watching 'Dog the Bounty Hunter'..that is like several hours of my life I can't get back. (serious lack of judgement and sheer boredom led me to it)

All that to say..I am with you. Cable free and happy to be me. :)

--Sara

jose said...

That's awesome, I'm heading that direction too!

Jeff Harris said...

A Simple VGA Cable out or VGA S video adapter depending on your TV and then go to HULU or JOOST or CBS,ABC,NBC websites and you can download your show or movie for free with limited commercials...saving about 70 bucks a month after upgrading my bandwidth... so far so good.