Sunday, September 2, 2007

Driving Lesson

Last Night I gave my 15 year old neighbor her first driving lesson. I asked her if she'd like to help me put my truck in the Driveway and her eyes lit up. I said okay but you have to exactly everything I tell you. As we got into the truck she began to ask questions and I said "now just listen, don't ask questions or wonder...just do what I tell you". I asked her to reach down with her right hand and move the seat forward, then find the brake and the accelorator, then I asked her to put the key in the ignition and turn the key over, then to turn the lights on, then to depress the brake and pull the lever into her and then down to "D" and on it went. Her heart was racing and she listened intently and did exactly as she was told. There will come a day when she will be able to drive without much instruction...there will still be speed limit signs and construction signs and the signals from other drivers along the way but first you learn by obeying exactly and then you grow in your ability to move through life with those first lessons as your foundation. But you still must listen to the signs along the way, they are fewer, but just as crucial.

No comments: