Thursday, September 20, 2007

Things, The Mall and Jesus

I needed to go to the mall....my rare pilgramage to the merchandise mecca, and while I was there I walked into the Ralph Lauren store because a pair of pants caught my eye. After feeling the material and finding my size I tried them on. Now, I wasn't at the mall to shop for clothes...I was actually running a seperate errand. So after trying on this really nice pair of chinos I looked at the tag.....One Hundered and Seventy Eight Dollars. I ran...I ran because I loved them and they were what I wanted, I ran because they felt awesome, I ran before I could start down the trail of rationalization. On Ebay I found the same pair for Fourty Dollars...I'm watching them on to see what they go for...It's funny how temptation siezes us. God promises he will always provide a way out...in this case it was the door of the store...and the realization that for me the Mall is an mirage of fulfillment for the discontent. Jesus went to the mall...but he took a whip with him. I'm not saying the mall is evil and you shouldn't go...I'm just saying you may need to be prepared to run.

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

i find myself compulsively checking to see what you've written...and then nodding slowly and laughing to myself as i replay a similar scene from my life almost every time.

get busy living.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insights of life. I love reading your thoughts.

Not only is running a good way to get out of harms way, but I heard that it's good for the cardiovascular system. May we all keep running…