Friday, December 7, 2007

Little Notes

I have a little note taped to the back of one of my "preaching" bibles...it says "Soffen your intensitivity"...."not a good sermon but a great sermon"... the misspelled words are from the hand of my dyslexic dad but the note itself is priceless. My dad's penmanship is beautiful but he struggles with spelling and yet he writes these little notes and they last. More than words often a note will endure. I have a drawer full of little notes...Charles Spurgeon wrote about 20 letters a day, Jimmy Draper continues to prolifically write notes of encouragement and thoughtfulness...these are busy people with time crunches. Those notes are about thoughfulness and selflessness and love. I write too few little notes...it's what happens when you value efficiency more than thoughtfulness, or you are under the illusion of focus rather than the grace of selflessness...time doesn't get away it's captured in little notes. Only when we don't have time does time really get away. Whether it's in a drawer for a rainy day or taped somewhere little notes encapsulate time.

4 comments:

archie said...

What a great invention, 'Sticky Notes'! But instead of an adhesive that makes it stick, it is the uniqueness of the sender taking time to create and deliver the note. Email is great for communication, but it is something special when one receives a handwritten note. The notes I received from my dad's 'preaching' bible when he passed are invaluable. Not so much for what they say, but because of who wrote them. It's awesome that God's thoughts come to us in the form of sticky notes.

Jeff Harris said...

I have a Ryrie Study Bible that was my dad's that he gave to me...I love to read the highlighted areas and the verses that were speaking to him...we are all leaving marks while we are here and others are coming behind and learning from our journey.

Kyle Burkholder said...

Your simple ability to inspire has changed this place.

People here probably don't remember what you look like. They likely wouldn't recognize you on the street. Somehow, though, there is always excitement when they hear that people are coming from "Pastor Jeff's Church".

Continue to blaze trails. Continue to inspire. Continue to give us reasons to leave you little notes.

Jeff Harris said...

God uses the foolish to confound the wise...