Monday, December 10, 2007

Trail Blazing

The new park designated by the city is about two miles from the trail my son and I normally ride. The city forecasted that one day they would be connected. My son and I decided we would build a trail from the park where we ride now to the future park. For four days we sawed, shoveled, cut, lopped and snipped through a dense ridge above Leon Creek. On saturday we broke through to the other side. The trail is not worn in yet and has some hairy areas that need to be graded out but we did it we blazed a trail where no one had ever ridden before and hopefully riders will enjoy for years to come. Trail blazing is slow and tough but it is rewarding all the same. The joy of discovery, the pain and sweat and mostly the time together pursuing an epic common goal are all things that I will hold on to. I have ridden miles of trail that others have provided and unconsciously enjoyed their effort...There is something different about the trail less traveled....or for that matter the trail cut out of dense forest...it does make a difference.

2 comments:

Jeff Reininger said...

That's awesome! I think everytime I go running on a broken-in trail I think how awesome it would be to break in your own. To walk (or ride) where nobody has ever walked (or ridden) before! It's like discoving your own island or world! What a reward, what a joy indeed! I'm glad I now know someone who knows that feeling that I've wondered about for so long!

-Jeff Reininger

Jeff Harris said...

Whenever you want to go let me know...I've got some extra loppers and plenty of ground left to be covered...You'll have your own private running trail...