Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Buzzards


Yesterday as I drove up to the church there were over 40 Buzzards sitting in the front of the church property. I slowed and looked and they were congregating but there was no obvious corpse. "Lord, is this some sort of sign or something?" I'm in a bit of a fog on Monday mornings anyway but this was eerily strange. Later in the day they were still there. As I drove to my lunch appointment, I passed the hord of vultures sunning themselves on the front property as thousands of cars passed by obvious aware that something was dead at that church. What a PR nightmare: "buzzards descend on Grace Point." I slowed and looked into the creek where there was the corpse of a deer that was probably hit crossing the street to eat all of our plants. I then had mixed emotions: part of me glad the landscape eating bandit got caught in the gauntlet and then miffed that death brings buzzards. As I drove home they were still there and maybe today when I go in the all day buffet will still be open. My wish is that the dead churches all around the country would have such a clear indication as buzzards on the lawn. There are just not enough buzzards to go around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the buzzards and my thought was they are feeding on the carcass of the "old" me that died to sin, but the new me keeps going past that dead body and into the church to celebrate the new creation in Christ. Just a thought...

Jeff Harris said...

That is a much better thought...: ) Maybe it was a Monday vs. a Thursday thought...I like yours better.

Squirrel Chasing Nuts said...

fear not, they're on my so-called lawn a lot lately