Thursday, February 21, 2008

Red Bud: First and Best



The Red Bud tree outside my office reminds me of the splendor of Spring. It is always the first to bloom risking frost and it is always the most brilliant. Giving your first and best to God is not a mere act of obedience but the heroic act of trust as well as the sign to all that change, life, warmth and light are all on the horizon. First and best is about hope about love bursting into the darkness. The Red Bud tree is always first and brilliantly beautiful giving forth its best. I'd love to be consistently this bold and beautiful, risking the frost and yet still busting out in undeniable beauty--first and best.

1 comment:

archie said...

Don't you know God loves it when we appreciate His creations. My son and I had just come off a hike in Big Bend. The Chisos mountains form a circle and bowl in the center. We were in the bottom of the bowl. This might have been the time we got lost, but that's another story.

There was a light shower and we were privileged to see the closest and brightest rainbow I have ever seen. The sight really was breath taking. Both ends of the rainbow were touching each side of the bowl directly in front of us and overhead. How many ways can you say, 'AWE'! I'm sure God was smiling.