Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Father Daughter Dance

I stepped off the plane at 6:30 p.m. I had slept 4 hours of the last 48 and I was running on adrenaline, caffeine and determination. There were 3 beautiful girls awaiting my arrival at the Dance. I snuck in the back and waited for hot water...it never came in the 'bat cave' shower...so I just dressed quickly and put on some extra deodorant and found my girls dressed up like Cinderella and we danced. My oldest and I slow danced to "butterfly kisses" and I held back my tears as best I could. She had told me a boy would be coming to talk to me...since she was 5 she has been told anyone who wanted to be a boyfriend would have to ask me first. And we rocked back and forth and my mind was swimming with emotions I've never had and can't pretend to understand. So at this point I traded out a 13 year old for 6 and 8 and we jumped and twisted, giggled and laughed...they snuggled my neck and told me "daddy I'm so glad your home" This I can do...it makes me feel so 'like a dad', wanted and in control...but 13 so much like a woman, dancing with her head next to mine telling me of the boy who will come and ask me the question.....she's growing fast, faster now than I'm ready to admit and in my heart she pulls away slowly with every inch and year...and the singer sings.."and I know I'll have to let her go but I'll always remember a hug every morning and butterfly kisses at night"

3 comments:

Jeffery Chandler said...

Jeff, I could identify with your story regarding the dance. A couple of years back I took my then 14 year old daughter to the dance and for nearly the entire night I was dancing away yet I was so choked up I could barely talk. I was thinking nonstop about how my "little girl" was growing up and beginning to launch out. It's surely some scary stuff for a dad.

Jeff Harris said...

I am still groping in the dark a little on the whole teenage girl thing. It's a strange place to be as I get older as a male the testosterone fades and you begin to realize how weak and out of 'control' you really are...especially raising teenage girls

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.