Thursday, November 15, 2007

73

My dad turned 73 today...it's a number not his age. The number itself is insignificant because it's not a hallmark birthday like fourty or sixty-five or sweet sixteen...it's 73. It doesn't represent his age because my dad is not limited by the number...he has always been "younger" in his mind...always forward thinking... he lives in the present and is unencumbered by the bitterness or regret of yesterday. He thinks about what is possible and rarely focuses or stagnates on what is not...He is a risk taker and knows that failure is not trying. He has an enthusiasm for life and for people and he always bets on the underdog if that underdog has a determined fight in his eye...He always grants grace through forgiveness even though the wound may be deep and personal. My dad is grace the most simultaneously broken and used vessel I know...perfect in weakness and explosively powerful though flawed. 73 is the amount of seasoning and wisdom, the amount of practice and acquired skill but not an age...an age cannot contain him...it is a lesson I hope to learn a wisdom I long to acquire, a model I strive to follow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother is one of my best friends and is 68 this year. I spend a lot of my time finding it hard to believe that she is "pusing" 70. I so understand what and how you feel about your dad. May I live to be as young at 68 (or 73) as they are!