Monday, November 5, 2007

too early for christmas

All the stores are wrapped in tinsel, candy cane and lights...the marketing engine of Amercian Merchandising is in full swing and I'm just not ready for it yet. It's not even really cold, and we still haven't even had thanksgiving and it just seems unnatural to force Christmas down our throats a full two months out. The stark contrast between an unlikely savior in a barn, all earthy with straw and animals. The surprise and wonder of wisemen and shepherds...so different from the manufactured expectations of glitz and cash registers...lists and obligatory trinkets...I love the advent of Jesus...it's Christmas I can do without.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking that this morning as I heard a Christmas commercial during my normal Fox and Friends ritual while getting dressed.

Anonymous said...

Though the idea of a commercialized Christmas turns my stomach, I find that the idea of the Christmas holiday season starting so early actually cheers me up. The change from the darkness of Halloween into the bright colors and cheery Christmas decorations lightens my spirits. To me it symbolizes out of darkness and into light.

The world has its view of how "Christmas" should be capitalized upon, however we should let the cheerfulness of the decorations, the thoughtfulness of the songs, the true message of Jesus be the focus. Because even two months out...can you hear the angels singing "O Holy Night" with the awe in their voices, the wonder in the song?

Anonymous said...

christmas means carnage

Jeff Harris said...

: ) So True