Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Greatest of Gifts

Connor and I delivered the Canoe we made to my father for his 73rd birthday...he was blown away...he said over and over again that it was the best birthday present he had ever recieved and he and Connor went for their first trip together across the lake. Later that day as Connor and I were tossing the football and my mom and dad were on the patio in a flurry of conversation these words came from my dad's mouth..."Connor, your dad is the dad I always wanted"...the conversation went on and those words lingered like a dove descending or the clouds opening...I think I understand 'blessing' more in light of this moment...at least blessing the way scripture uses the term. The words of affirmation that confer weight...in the moment and for a lifetime. It's why Jacob wanted to steal it from Esau...it carries with it the momentum of a lifetime....it is one of the greatest gifts.

No comments: