Thursday, October 25, 2007

Real News

Last Night the Ten o'clock news led with a story that my brother was covering. The 10 o'clock news notoriously leads with murder, arson, rape, but this night an inspiring 'sports' story of how the World Series Colorado Rockies are generously supporting fallen baseball player Scott Coolbaugh's family as they ascend through the playoffs. The story was sad because the 6 and 5 year old boys lost their dad, but it was also inspiring how a sports team 'did the right thing'. What amazed me was for a brief moment the 10 o'clock murder, arson, rape parade transceded into something that elevated your life rather than soak it in terror, fear or apathy. I was proud because my 'sportscaster' brother is usually the one who leads with news that is meaningful and he's the sportscaster...go figure. The reality is it shows that it's not about the role that you play, it's about what you choose to focus on that counts. Some day a local news will figure out that if they led with inspirational news they'd be the most watched news cast...it's just harder work to focus on all that's right with the world...but it's a choice. Unfortunately as soon as the story was over it turned to murder on the southside...now that's a shocker! Each day is full of inspiration and stories that elevate the lives of those around you, we just have to look a little harder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never left a comment, but have been reading your blog for awhile now. Your posts make me think and are usually enlightening in some way. After this post, I felt I needed to respond.

I don't watch the news for several reasons, but was happy to hear that they started off with a positive message. I agree that the news would be better if they did show more of the positive and less of the negative. What saddened me was this:

"Unfortunately as soon as the story was over it turned to murder on the southside...now that's a shocker!"

I have been attending your church for a few months now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I also live on the southside of town. I will tell you that it is a shocker when there is a murder over here. To me, it shows what a throw away world we live in and the pain of that cuts deeply.

I guess I just don't see the relevance of adding that statement to your post. If you know that the news is there to "promote" all of the bad, why further it with that sentence? I could go on about the good things about my side of town(and almost feel I should to defend it), but won't. Please know that I mean absolutely no disrespect. I just ask that you give it some thought. Thanks for your time.

Jeff Harris said...

Dear anonymous...no offense intended about the Southside...in fact it could have been anywhere...it just happened to be that night..."what a shocker" had more to do with the news than the location...it's a sad state that in our world it's not news...I'm well aware the Southside is a rock solid community with strong values...no slight intended.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for clarifying! I really appreciate that.