Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Relative Truth

Subjectivity seems to be the ethos of the day! Our opinions and feelings guide our lives. When I see a homeless person I immediately assume he is an addict or mentally impaired and while statistics bear this out I allow the statistic to enable me not to think more deeply. Poverty is caused my laziness, and addiction but also by injustice, and oppression. I live in the U.S. so everyone has equal access to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness...but is that actually true or only ideally true? Is it possible that the system we live in is injust or oppressive? My feelings about this dictate the truth that I choose to believe and I align those feelings with others and systems that validate and support that...we call that politics. The reality is that truth is a fixed point and the only thing that is relative is my proximity to it. Objectivity is the willingness to move closer and closer to that fixed point.

No comments: